The 9-step model for excellence in shopper marketing:
The model has 3 pillars:
- The internal work to build a category vision, the value creating opportunity that arises with this vision and the translation into consumer need states , transformed into shopper activation to deliver the value via our retail partner. A top line in-store vision is developed to drive the growth of the category trough the differentiated channels & retail formats, which exist in the market.
- The internal work to prepare the go-to-market plans with the retailers. In here we assess the potential every retailer ( or channel) has in front of him to deliver the category envisioned growth. Summarized in a national game plan we play our investments in brand - and trade money on those retailers and target shoppers in order to maximize our category growth via the most promising retailer partners. For every retailer we then build the concept sell to put our game plan into execution.
- Is the external implementation work with the retailer: the business plan to deliver against the assessed opportunity & realistic potential, and the in-store vision execution- and communication- plan . Shopper marketing initiatives , developed to drive the delivery of the category vision, are then a structural & recurring process to keep the shopper excited and make our brands preferred (shopper marketing middle layer).
Taking you through the first 6 steps, which form the international support architecture to deploy a corporate strategy vision:
- Here we want to understand the universe in which the consumer and the shopper make choices versus the related need (example/prepared world food versus the overall meal solutions offer in the market )she has. Where do our categories (brands) play in this universe; what are the trends in there, where lays our future( example /deep frozen prepared meals versus pre-packed) , versus where we play now in this choice-making and the trends identified. What opportunity arises from this insight for our category. Which consumer need states (who-what-why-where-when) will deliver against this opportunity to grow the category? What will be our shopper activation approaches to deliver this value creation via our retail partner?
- From the identified target consumer segments, what consumer- & shopper-insights (along the consumer & shopper journey) can we learn , which form opportunities to deliver the value defined; or form a barrier to achieve it; and how can we quantify these opportunities by mapping out for each target consumer segment the change we strive to bring in her shopping & consumption journey behavior in every step?
- How will we build on the differentiation of every retailer to develop the right shopper experience in-store, which enhances our category vision implementation. Which offer can we develop internationally that will optimally respond to typical differentiation formats ( based on core shopper profiles of the retailer) in each market & therefor build synergy and complexity reduction on a global scale?
- How will we assess every retailer in the market versus the potential the category has on a total market level. Are his core shoppers the same as our category target consumer segments; what growth potential does the retailer has by growing penetration or loyalty with our brands?
- How will we optimize our brand & trade investments against the existing potential across the different channels & retailer (store formats)?
- What is the resulting concept sell we want to do for a given retailer given our gameplan: the category vision and the in-store vision we have for his type of retailer differentiation. What are the common objectives, strategies & tactics we will propose to build on his share of the category growth potential?